Sunday 31 December 2017

Warploque: Bayourk Witchdokta WIP

It's New Year's Eve, so here I am painting. Here's to a 2018 filled with whatever you want it to be.

Back into the habit of posting my WIP work. For this figure, I'm trying to do Things That Are Different at the moment. You don't build muscles without stretching them. Painting is the same.

This was my first attempt at trying to create an iridescent effect on skin.


So on the right lines but not quite right. Okay, not everything can be a success first time but that's okay.

Back to the drawing board, and I've started with a lighter blue, defined everything better and started into the first highlights. Shadows will see other colours added to achieve the effect better. Same for the final highlights too.


Next up is reworking the leather. My original colour choice was far too light and adding shadow didn't help. He's old and weathered, so the coat should reflect that.


Much happier with this, and reading David Soper's article on old leather (https://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/c-girl-akito-painting-worn-leather.html) has helped me think about colour choices and pushing up the contrast.


Next up will be the super-definitely-positively-probably the last highlight, then adding colour interest into the shadows with glazes.